Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Back Home in Germany

And Rome was awesome! Fortunately, I think we brought the nice weather back to Germany with us, because it is sunny and looks really nice outside today. Too bad I'll be in all day unpacking and doing laundry... I also plan on starting my new book since I finished the one I was reading on the plane this morning.


I was really into the book at the beginning and middle, but the end kind of left me hanging. It was a departure from my usual read, and I'm glad I gave it a chance. I have tried reading Jodi Picoult before, and I couldn't really get into it, but this book was good. I think I'll give her another chance!

Next I'm reading Masha Hamilton's, The Camel Bookmobile. It is about a young, female librarian from New York who goes to Africa to work with a bookmobile that brings books to Kenyan villages on camelback. See what Amazon has to say HERE.

Read about the actual Camel Book Drive and see how you can donate to Kenya's Mobile Library HERE. Here is a short excerpt from the website:

"Though The Camel Bookmobile (HarperCollins, April 2007) is a novel, the camel-borne library actually exists. It operates in Kenya’s isolated Northeastern Province near the unstable border with Somalia. It brings books to a semi-nomadic people who live with drought, famine and chronic poverty. The books are spread out on grass mats beneath an acacia tree, and the library patrons, often barefoot, sometimes joined by goats or donkeys, gather with great excitement to choose their books until the next visit. I visited the region and walked the bush with the camel library, and you can see pictures and a short video.

But of course, the bush is hard on books and the traveling library needs more. The books they have are written in either English or Swahili, both of which are taught in school."

1 comment:

Celeste J. said...

I'm glad you liked it, I haven't read that one yet. Your next Jodi Picoult book should be the Pact, or My Sisters Keeper.