Wednesday, March 26, 2008

32/101



This is probably in the top twenty-five books I have ever read, and I have read a lot of books. I have read a lot of books related to the Holocaust, both fiction and non-fiction. I have visited concentration camps in Poland and Germany. I find it terribly disturbing and incredibly fascinating at the same time. I cannot seem to get enough... I guess this carries over to Africa as well, where I have read many books about the genocides in Rwanda and the Sudan. After this book, I plan on visiting Sachsenhausen, which I didn't realize is fairly close to where we live in Germany, and I will plan another trip to Krakow. I think, after Italy, Poland is my favorite place in Europe, and I would like to go back before we move back to the States.

Back to the book... I fell in love with all of the characters. I cried when they died. I became frustrated when they didn't do what I thought they should. At the end, I felt myself wanting more... This book would definitely make a good movie. They are offering a book club for this book at our library, and I wish I could attend (I will be out of the country during the first two sessions). I would really enjoy discussing this book with others and answered all of the discussion questions found in the back of the book. I really, really liked this book!

Next Up: Another change of pace, I will be reading 100 Places Every Woman Should Go by Stephanie Elizondo Griest. It is kind of long, but looks like should be a quick read since it dedicates 2-3 pages for each of the 100 places suggested. I wonder how many of them I have already visited?!?

1 comment:

Celeste J. said...

Ohhhh this sounds like an interesting read. I will have to add it to my list, as well as your next read. :)