Monday, June 4, 2007

My 1001 Day Book Project



Read the entry on our family blog that inspired it all...

On June 1, I sat down to create an Excel spreadsheet of 101 books that I'd like to read in the next 1001 days. The books are a variety of classics, chick lit, autobiographies, and current events. I've read some of them before, while others I've done my best to avoid since high school English (i.e. Moby Dick). Feel free to comment on my reviews and thoughts, leave book recommendations, or join in and start a 1001 day project of your own!

Start date: Friday, June 1, 2007

End date: Friday, February 26, 2010

I decided to start with a book that I already had, but never made the time to sit down and read... until now. I'm currently reading Helen Fremont's After Long Silence.


Amazon.com review:

In her mid-30s Helen Fremont discovered that, although she had been raised in the Midwest as a Catholic, she was in fact the daughter of Polish Jews whose families had been exterminated in the Holocaust. Fremont's tender but unsparing memoir chronicles the voyage of discovery she took with her older sister, ferreting out information from Jewish organizations and individuals and worrying about its impact on their angry, overpowering father and reticent, nightmare-plagued mother. Fremont has the courage to paint a nearly unsympathetic portrait of her parents' secretiveness and initial reluctance to have their children dredge up the past; as the narrative unfolds, readers comprehend the tormented roots of their behavior without forgetting the psychological problems it created for their daughters. Fremont's re-creation of her parents' ghastly ordeals--her mother narrowly escaping the murder of nearly every Jew in her hometown; her father surviving six years in the Soviet gulag--is a triumph of dogged research and sympathetic imagination. Her book tells a deeply American story of identity lost and reclaimed, complete with Fremont coming out to her parents as a lesbian, yet it also achieves understanding of the dark European past and its icy grip on her family.
Next up: Hillary Clinton's Living History
Ongoing read: The Bible

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! This is a great idea! I actually do something like this, but I keep a book journal and I go year by year. At the beginning of the year a make a list of books I'm going to read! I love it! A book I recommend is A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldiar by Ishmeal Beah. Amazing story! Also, My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Anything by Jodi Picoult is great! I just bought The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid. Have heard great reviews on it! I am a book nerd so I will be watching this to see if you have found any book I haven't read! Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea girly! I may have to join you on this one. :)