Wednesday, June 6, 2007

New York Times



Living in Germany and being fascinated by its history, especially World War II and the Cold War, The Berlin Wall: A World Divided 1961-1989, by Frederick Taylor, looks especially interesting. I think I might have to add it to the bottom of the list, especially since it looks like one Jared and I can share and read together.

Also, Opening Day: The Story of Jackie Robinson's First Season, by Jonathan Eig, looks like another book we'd both be interested in reading. Growing up listening to my dad's stories about playing stickball in the streets with the Brooklyn Dodgers made me an early fan of New York baseball.

John Prendergast and Don Cheadle, Not on Our Watch: The Mission to End Genocide in Darfur and Beyond, write about the crisis in Darfur. I feel an obligation to our fellow humans to read this book and be aware of what is happening in the world. It is so hard for me to fathom that genocide is still taking place, and it frustrates me that so many people don't care or don't know about it. Hopefully Don Cheadle's celebrity status will do some good and bring more attention to the situation in Africa.

No comments: